– it means having a pH that is not more than seven
– it means it requires or has sufficient amounts of air
– these are course materials that include crushed gravel or rock
– it means having a pH level beyond seven
– ammonia is created by the waste of your fish via their gills. If ammonia builds up without it being diluted to non-toxic levels or converted in the system then it can become very harmful to both your plants and your fish.
– these are the dead zones that are caused by harbor bacteria, the release of harmful toxins and inadequate supplies of oxygen.
– these are sap sucking and soft-bodied insects that come in four different colors. Some are green, white and yellow with others are black.
– aquaculture is the term used in the cultivation of aquatic plants and animals in a controlled milieu.
– this is the symbiotic relationship between fish and plants growing together in a single system.
– auto siphon a convenient process of regulating flood and drain cycles of grow beds.
– bacillus Thur Inge NSIS are naturally occurring microorganisms that are highly effective in treating against caterpillars. These microorganisms are proven organic and are not toxic to beneficial organisms.
– bacteria are naturally occurring microorganisms that are classified as either good or bad.
– an example of a biological filter is a grow bed. This is the place that encourages colonization of nitrifying bacteria.
– this is a gray colored crushed aggregate or rock. An example of this is granite.
– Broodstock is the mature fish used for the generation production of young.
– a buffer is an additive that is resistant to alterations in pH when small quantities of alkali or acid are incorporated into the system.
– this stands for Backyard Aquaponics
– Calcium is a white or silver soft alkaline earth metal that is necessary for plant growth.
– Calcium carbonate is usually found in limestone, marble, and chalk. It is also used to buffer your pH levels.
– a carnivore is a certain type of organism that feeds exclusively or mainly on the tissues of animals
– this stands for constant height in fish tank – pump in sump tank
– chloramine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia and they are normally used to treat water and as a disinfectant.
– chlorine is a very powerful bleaching and disinfecting agent and is usually used in drinking water supplies.
– clay consists of fine-grain minerals that harden when dried or fired up, it is also naturally occurring.
– coir is a natural fiber that can be obtained from coconut husks.
– a system is considered cycled if it has already established appropriate amounts of beneficial bacteria.
– Cycling is the process of establishing a colony of beneficial bacteria in a system.
– dechlorinate means to rid the water of chlorine.
– DWC stands for deep-water culture; this is a hydroponic technique of growing plants that are settled in water rich in nutrients.
– deficiency means a shortage or lack of
– this is rotting matter or waste found at the very bottom of your fish tank.
– this is a measure of dissolved oxygen that are carried in or are in a certain media
– DWV stands for Drain waste vent; DWV is a type of fittings and pipe that are used to drain waste and to vent plumbing
– this is the method of flooding and draining a grow bed filled with media.
– these are clay pellets that are fired up in a kiln. In the process, these pellets expand and transform into porous balls.
– Feed conversion ratio; this is the amount of feed you have given to an animal compared to the weight it has gained.
– a fingerling is a young fish that has grown to be the size of a finger.
– this is the process of flooding and draining fish water in a grow bed filled with media.
– these are elements made to a standard for coming in contact with foodstuff
– fry is a very tiny fish or a young
– fungicide is chemical compounds that are used to inhibit or kill fungi or fungal spores.
– these are rock particles.
– this is where your plants grow within an Aquaponic system.
– growing media is a substrate for bacteria habitat as well as plant root anchoring
– Hydroponics is the method of growing plants without the need for soil.
– Hydroton is a brand of expanded clay balls or clay that has a very high water storage volume.
– IBC stands for the intermediate bulk container used to transport and store liquids.
– this is the simulated application of water to soils or lands
– LECA stands for light expanded clay aggregate
– this is actually calcium oxide. This is extracted from heating corals, limestone, chalk or seashells. This is also used to buffer pH levels.
– this is the sedimentary used to buffer pH levels.
– NFT stands for nutrient film technique wherein plants are being suspended in a tiny and enclosed gutter. And then a thin film of water passes through its roots to supply the nutrients.
– nitrate is naturally occurring nitrogen that is made available for the plants to use.
– nitrite is generated as part of the nitrogen cycle; this is very toxic to your fish
– nitrogen cycle is the process wherein nitrogen is converted to different chemical forms.
– this is the bacterium that oxidizes nitrite and converts it into nitrate.
– this is the type of bacterium that oxidizes ammonia and converts it into nitrite
– PPM stands for parts per million
– PPT stands for parts per thousand
– this is the process of removing impurities through cleansing
– PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride – plastic polymer
– this is a mineral that is chiefly composed of sodium chloride
– SLO stands for Solids Lift Overflow – this is a piping technique used to extract the solids from the fish tank
– Species is a biological classification for a group of organisms that have the capacity to interbreed and produce fertile offspring.
– Standpipes are the tools that set the maximum level of water in a particular to grow bed. Excess water that is pumped into the grow bed is channeled straight over the top of your standpipe and goes straight down the drain.
– this is the casing that surrounds your standpipe allowing water to flow through the drilled holes
– this is water collected as a result of rain events.
– this is the object or substance that are protected from the long-term effects of ultraviolet exposure and light.